Staff at Materials in Medicine
Håkan Engqvist - Professor
I am the founder and leader of the MiM group. My research is focused towards understanding of the connection between synthesis, structure and properties of biomaterials, especially bioceramics for hard tissue replacement and drug delivery.
Wei Xia - Professor
- PhD in Materials Science and Engineering, Shanghai Institute of Ceramics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
I am currently responsible for the research on “Biomaterials: synthesis and characterization” in the Materials in Medicine group. I am interested in Synthetic Bio- and customized- materials, and my research is focused on:
- Advanced Glass Ceramics/Ceramics for dental and spinal applications
- Nano-structured bioactive ceramics for bone repair and regeneration
- Antipathogenic Materials
- Additive Manufacturing in Ceramics
- Ceramics for DDS, e.x. Guided neuron growth, ASIT, Pain reliever, Transdermal delivery
Caroline Öhman Mägi - Senior Lecturer
Bio coming soon
Lena Klintberg - Senior Lecture
Philip Procter - Adjunct Professor
- Chartered Engineer (FIMechE, UK) and Chartered Scientist (FIPEM, UK)
- PhD. Biomedical Engineering, Strathclyde University, Scotland.
- BTech. Mechanical Engineering, Brunel University London, UK.
I am industry-based, self-employed and my main interest is in translating biomaterials from the laboratory to clinical use to match unmet clinical needs. My research interests are:
- Biomimetic injectable biomaterials
- Tissue adhesives
- Bone graft substitutes
Peter Thomsen - Guest professor
Bio coming soon
Michael Pujari-Palmer - ASSOCIATE RESEARCHER
- PhD in Engineering Physics with Specialization in Materials Science, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
- MSc in Biomedical Engineering, University of Texas, Arlington, USA.
- BSc in Biochemistry and Cell Biology, University of California, San Diego, USA.
My research focuses on the interaction between cells, tissues and biomaterials. There are three main lines of research: a) Development of a new type of biocompatible bone and cartilage tissue adhesive, which bonds to metal, ceramic and other tissue surfaces; b) Development of materials that induce bone growth (osteoinductive materials), specifically involving inorganic additives that mimic growth factors, like BMP-2; c) Identifying the contribution of inflammation, and immunomodulation by bioceramics, on osteoinduction.
Jonas Åberg - Associate Researcher
Bio coming soon
Erik Unosson - Associate Researcher
- PhD in Engineering Physics with Specialization in Materials Science, Uppsala University, Sweden
- MSc in Materials Science and Engineering, Luleå Technical University / Lorraine Technical University. Luleå, Sweden & Nancy, France (EEIGM)
My research focuses on the development and application of bioceramic particles, primarily for remineralization of dentin and treatment of hypersensitive teeth.
Vitalii Shtender - Research Engineer
- Materials Science of Solid-State Chemistry.
- X-ray and N-ray crystallography.
- Functional materials for magnetic applications (Mn-based) and hydrogen storage (Mg-based)
Giannis Katsaros - PhD student
- MSc in Biomechanics, Loughborough University, UK.
- MSc in Materials Science and Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Greece.
I am a PhD student working in the NU-Spine network. The main focus of my PhD is material development of silicon nitride for biomedical, mainly spinal, applications. I am aiming to produce mechanically sound, osteoconductive and antibacterial silicon nitride materials either through spark plasma sintering or through various surface modification techniques.
Huasi Zhou - PhD student
MSc, Imperial College London, UK
I am a PhD student working in Glass ceramics and NuSpine projects.
Torbjörn Mellgren - PhD student
- MSc in Chemical Engineering, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
In order to treat bone voids caused by trauma, cancer or birth defects, such as cleft palate, bone is routinely harvested from other parts of the patient’s own body. The aim of my research is to find synthetic alternatives, based on calcium phosphate, which perform as good or better than harvested bone. My research includes inorganic synthetic, material characterization and pre-clinical evaluation of these materials.
Yucheng Liu - Master Student
3D Printing of ceramic and its composites
Qingyu Yang - Master student
Oxynitride composites for long-term antipathogenic effect
Maria Pokosta - Master Student
Skjöldebrand, Charlotte, Silicon nitride based coatings for biomedical implants, 2022
Ghajeri, Farnaz, Nanostructured Ceramics - Synthesis and Understanding, 2022
Berg, Camilla, Ceramic Core–Shell Particles: Synthesis and Use within Dentistry, 2021
Vazda, Amina, Ceramic Materials as Drug Delivery Systems, 2021
Lewin, Susanne, Functional Aspects of Cranial Implants: Mechanical and Regenerative Properties, 2020
Fowler, Lee, Development of titanium-copper alloys for dental applications, 2019
Janson, Oscar, Bioactive Coatings and Antibacterial Approaches for Titanium Medical Implants, 2018
Fu, Le, Spark plasma sintered ZrO2-SiO2 glass ceramics and Si3N4 bioceramics, 2018
Luo, Jun, Calcium Phosphate Based Biomaterials for Bone Augmentation, 2018
Robo, Céline, Bone-compliant cements for vertebral augmentation, 2018
Pujari-Palmer, Michael, The biological and physical performance of high strength dicalcium phosphate cement in physiologically relevant models, 2017
Ajaxon, Ingrid, Can Bone Void Fillers Carry Load?: Behaviour of Calcium Phosphate Cements Under Different Loading Scenarios, 2017
Chen, Song, Glass Ionomer Cements with Improved Bioactive and Antibacterial Properties, 2016
Pujari-Palmer, Shiuli, Nanofeatures of Biomaterials and their Impact on the Inflammatory Response, 2016
Unosson, Erik, Antibacterial Strategies for Titanium Biomaterials, 2015
Pettersson, Maria, Silicon nitride for total hip replacements, 2015
Cai, Bing, Ceramic Materials for Administration of Potent Drugs, 2015
Montazerolghaem, Maryam, Additives Increasing the Bone-Forming Potential around Calcium Phosphate Cements: Statin, Strontium and Silicon, 2015
Karlsson, Joakim, Optimization of Electron Beam Melting for Production of Small Components in Biocompatible Titanium Grades, 2015
Unosson, Johanna, Physical Properties of Acidic Calcium Phosphate Cements, 2014
López, Alejandro, Injectable Biomaterials for Spinal Applications, 2014
Lilja, Mirjam, Bioactive Surgical Implant Coatings with Optional Antibacterial Function, 2013
Lindahl, Carl, Biomimetic Deposition of Hydroxyapatite on Titanium Implant Materials, 2012
Grandfield, Kathryn, Nanoscale Osseointegration: Characterization of Biomaterials and their Interfaces with Electron Tomography, 2012
Åberg, Jonas, Premixed Acidic Calcium Phosphate Cements, 2012
Olofsson, Johanna, Friction and Wear Mechanisms of Ceramic Surfaces: With Applications to Micro Motors and Hip Joint Replacements, 2011
Forsgren, Johan, Functional Ceramics in Biomedical Applications: On the Use of Ceramics for Controlled Drug Release and Targeted Cell Stimulation, 2010