Dr. Francesco D'Elia
I am a researcher in the BMS group working on additive manufacturing of degradable Mg- and Zn-based alloys for biomedical applications. Degradable implants are advantageous in that they completely degrade within the human body once they have fulfilled their function. This eliminates the need for second revision surgeries and therefore reduces health care related costs and patient discomfort. To advance the potential for additive manufacturing of degradable alloy implants, my research focuses on design of new alloys, process optimisation and characterisation of material properties.
- 2021-current Researcher, Biomedical Engineering Division, Uppsala University
- 2018-2021 Head of Material Development, Meotec GmbH, Aachen, Germany
- 2016-2018 Foundry Process Engineer, Meotec GmbH, Aachen Germany
- 2015-2016 Postdoctoral Fellow, Magnesium Innovation Centre, Helmholtz-Zentrum Hereon, Geesthacht, Germany
- 2009-2014 PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada
- 2007-2009 MASc in Mechanical Engineering, Ryerson University, Toronto, Canada