Members of the EMBLA group
Please read more about the members of EMBLA below. Do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to hear more about our research or join our research group. If you are looking for a student project, you can read about open positions on our webpage for available Diploma thesis projects or send an email to Maria.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Maria Tenje - PI
I lead the research group EMBLA - Enabling Microtechnologies for Biomedical and Life science Applications. The main goal of the lab is to develop microsystems for applications within the life sciences with a special interest on research related to micro/nano fabrication and processing of new materials.
I teach in several different courses in the undergraduate programmes and give a PhD course called "Introduction to BioMEMS". I was a member of the Young Academy of Sweden between 2014-2019 (chair 2018-2019 and vice chair 2017-2018) and I hold a Faculty position at SciLifeLab where I am also the Director of the pilot facility Customized Microfluidics. My research is funded by large grants from Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation (Wallenberg Academy Fellow 2016 and Prolongation Grant 2021) and the European Research Council (ERC Starting Grant 2017, ERC Consolidator Grant 2022).
I am on a research exchange at UC Santa Barbara, CA, USA during the academic year 2022-2023 collaborating with the group of Prof. Beth Pruitt.
- 2019, Professor Microsystems Technology, Uppsala University
- 2015, Docent Microsystems Technology, Uppsala University
- 2007, PhD Microtechnology, Technical University of Denmark (DTU)
- 2003, MSc Physics, Lund University
- 2002, BSc Physics, Imperial College London
Telephone: +46 (0)18 471 70 61 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Susan Peacock - Project Coordinator
Susan joined the EMBLA research group in November 2017 as a part-time Project Coordinator.
- 2012-2017, Portfolio Manager, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (UK)
- 2012, PhD Molecular Electronics "Growth and characterisation of functional molecular wires", Bangor University (UK)
Telephone: +46 (0) 18 471 57 44 Email: email@example.com
Samah Abou-Sharieha - Researcher
Samah joined the EMBLA research group in September 2020 as a Researcher.
- 2018-2019 Postdoc, The Institute of Cell-Material Sciences, Kyoto University (Japan)
- 2016-2018 (Teaching) Assistant Professor, Amman University (Jordan)
- 2015-2016 Postdoc, The Weizmann Institute of Science (Israel)
- 2014 Postdoc, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Israel)
- 2012-2013 Postdoc, The Ohio State University (USA)
- 2009-2012 Lecturer, Al-Ghad College of Medical Sciences (Saudi Arabia)
- 2009, PhD Biochemistry "Identification of TM9SF2 as a candidate cell surface marker common to breast carcinoma cells", Okayama University (Japan)
Laurent Barbe - Researcher
Laurent joined the EMBLA research group in November 2017 as a Researcher. His research interests are droplet microfluidics and organ-on-chip. Laurent is also Manager of the pilot facility Customized Microfluidics.
- 2008-2017, Researcher, Senior Expert at CSEM (Switzerland)
- 2006-2008, Research fellow, KTH (Sweden)
- 2004-2005, Postdoc,Center for Engineering in Medicine, Harvard Medical School (USA)
- 2002-2003, Research and Teaching assistant, University of Technology of Compiegne (France)
- 2001, PhD Bioengineering/Biomechanics "Mechanisms of adhesion of leukocytes to synthetic fibers: application to blood filtration", University of Paris (France)
Telephone: +46 (0) 18 471 72 35 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sofia Johansson - Researcher
Sofia joined the EMBLA research group in November 2017. Her research involves microengineering for reliable in vitro models of biological barriers (e.g. the blood-brain-barrier) through the development of organs-on-chip technology. This research on improved biological models using microfluidics and microfabrication aims to facilitate the drug discovery process and other biological investigations.
- Since 2017, Postdoc in EMBLA group, Uppsala University
- 2015-2017, Postdoc in Hybrid Bio-Device group, University of Southampton (UK)
- 2014, PhD in Electrical Engineering "Vertical Nanowire High-Frequency Transistors", Lund University
- 2008, MSc in Engineering Nanotechnology, Lund University
Telephone: +46 (0)18 471 72 35 E-mail: email@example.com
Sagar Agnihotri - Postdoc
Sagar joined the EMBLA research group in November 2021. His main supervisor is Prof. Dan Andersson at the Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University.
- 2021, Post-doctoral research associate, Northeastern University, Boston, MA, (USA).
- 2021, Joint PhD in Mechanical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IITB) (India) and Monash University (Australia).
Neeraj Katiyar - Postdoc
Neeraj joined the EMBLA research group in May 2022 as a Postdoc. His research interests are in understanding the physical variables in on-chip cell cultures subjected to fluid flow and their role in the modulation of cellular behavior. He is also working on validating the algorithms, developed to predict the optimal culture conditions for spheroids/organoids in microfluidic culture platforms.
- 2022, Research Associate, Institute of Nano Science and Technology (INST), Mohali (India)
- 2021, Ph.D. in Nanoscience & Technology “Axonal transport of topically applied gold nanoparticles in the sensory neurons of dorsal root ganglion” from Center for Nanosciences & Molecular Medicine, Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University, Kochi (India)
Pradipta Kr Das - Postdoc
Pradipta joined the EMBLA research group in January, 2023. His research is focused on the theoretical study of acoustic traps and the associated heating effect.
- 2022, PhD, Chemical Engineering, University of South Florida (USA)
- 2013, M. Tech, Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (India)
- 2009, B. E., Chemical Engineering, Jadavpur University, Kolkata (India)
Federico Cantoni - PhD student
Federico joined the EMBLA research group in September 2017. His research is focused on the development of a laminated BBB model by combining bioengineering and microfluidics. The model could be used as a platform for drug screening and biological investigations.
- Since 2017, PhD student in Microsystems Technology, Uppsala University
- 2016, MSc Materials Engineering and Nanotechnology, Politecnico de Milano (Italy)
Yuan Cui - PhD student
Yuan joined the EMBLA research group in May 2020. She is currently developing a microfluidic platform to measure the metabolism in single marine phytoplankton cells. The platform will form a core pillar of her PhD work in assessing the environmental impacts on cells with a focus on heterogeneity within populations. Her main PhD supervisor is Dr. Lars Behrendt at the Department of Organismal Biology, Uppsala University.
- Since 2020, PhD student in Environmental Toxicology, Uppsala University
- 2019, MSc in Environmental Engineering, ETH Zürich (Switzerland)
- 2017, BSc in Environmental Engineering, Jilin University (China)
Praneeth Karempudi - PhD student
Praneeth joined the EMBLA research group in October 2017. In his PhD project, he focuses on developing microfluidic devices and molecular biology tools to study antibiotic resistance evolution in bacteria (Escherichia coli) at single cell level. Main PhD supervisor is Prof. Johan Elf at the Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Uppsala University.
- Since 2017, PhD student in Molecular Biotechnology, Uppsala University
- 2017, MSc Bioengineering, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (Switzerland)
- 2014, B. Tech (Honors) Chemical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras (India)
Telephone: +46 (0)790 21 18 62 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nuzhet Inci Kilic - PhD student
Nuzhet Inci joined the EMBLA research group in January 2022. The main focus of her PhD project is the additive manufacturing of microstructures for biochemical signal monitoring. Her main PhD supervisor is Prof. Stefan Johansson at the Division of Microsystems Technology.
- 2021-2022, Research Engineer, KTH Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden)
- 2021, MSc Nanotechnology, KTH Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden)
- 2018, BSc Materials Science and Nanotechnology Engineering, TOBB Economics and Technology University (Turkey)
Telephone: +46 (0)184 71 30 77 Email: email@example.com
Astrid Olivefors - PhD student
Astrid Olivefors joined the EMBLA research group in November 2022. Her project will be focused on microfabricated vessels for vascularisation of organoids.
- Since 2022, PhD student, Uppsala University
- 2020 – 2022, AstraZeneca Pharmaceutical Technology & Development Graduate Programme
- 2019, MScEng Chemical Engineering and Engineering Physics, Nanotechnology, Chalmers University of Technology (Sweden)
Abdul Raouf Atif - PhD student
Abdul joined the EMBLA research group in October 2018. He is currently working with the integration of Calcium Phosphate Cements into microfluidic devices. The overall aim of the project is to devise a method for reliable assessment and evaluation of biomaterials under in-vitro conditions for bone regeneration.
- Since 2018, PhD student in Microsystems Technology, Uppsala University
- 2018, MSc Medical Science, Uppsala University
- 2016, BA Biological Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge (UK)
Telephone: +46 (0)73 97 51 520 E-mail: Abdul-Raouf.Atif@angstrom.uu.se
Qian Shi - PhD student
Qian joined the EMBLA research group in September 2020. Her project will focus on the development of a droplet microfluidic platform for controlled generation and culture of human cerebral organoids.
Eszter Szombati - PhD student
Eszter Szombati joined the EMBLA research group in September 2022. She will design substrates with microwells that are ideal for single cell handling especially for INS-1 and human β-cells. The microwells should enable live cell analysis and be able to keep individual cells separated and be suitable for optimizing cell culture conditions. Her main PhD supervisor is Prof. Ingela Lanekoff at Chemistry-BMC.
- Since September 2022, PhD student in Analytical Chemistry, Uppsala Univerisity
- 2020–2022, Research Assistant at ELTE Lendület Ionmobility Mass Spectrometry Research Group
- 2022, MSc. In Chemistry Teaching, Eszterházy Károly Catholic University (Hungary)
- 2020, MSC. in Chemistry, ELTE Eötvös Loránd University (Hungary)
- 2017, BSc. in Chemistry, ELTE Eötvös Loránd University (Hungary)
Gabriel Werr - PhD student
Gabriel joined the EMBLA research group in June 2019. His research is focused on acoustic trapping for bead-based cytokine detection assays, which will be used for continuous organ-on-chip monitoring. Further, the heating effects during acoustic trapping will be investigated.
- Since 2019, PhD student in Microsystems Technology, Uppsala University
- 2018, MSc Medical Engineering, Technische Universität München
Lulu Wu - PhD student
Lulu Wu joined the EMBLA group in March 2021. She is interested in Organ-On-Chips, and will continue her PhD project in conjunction with her previous background on nanocellulose
- Since 2018, PhD student, Uppsala University
- 2013-2017, Research, Wuhan Institute of Biological Products Co., LTD. (China)
- 2010-2013, M.Sc. in Immunology, Wuhan Institute of Biological products (China)
- 2006-2010, B.Sc. in bioinformatics, Hebei University (China)
MSc student - Lilli Ahopelto
Lilli joined the EMBLA research group in January 2023. She is currently doing her master thesis focusing on microfluidic sample preparation for bacterial DNA assays. The aim is to reduce the time required for the sample preparation step.
- Since 2021, MSc student in Applied Biotechnology, Uppsala University
- 2018-2021, BSc in Molecular Biology, Uppsala University
- Isabel Burdallo, Project Coordinator 2022-2023
- Sarah-Sophia Carter, PhD 2022
- Ana Maria Porras Hernandez, PhD 2022
- Zhenhua Liu, PhD 2022
- Susanna Wärmegård, MSc 2022
- Atena Khaji, Postdoc 2017-2022
- Hannah Pohlit, Postdoc 2018-2022
- Linnéa Soto Carlsson, BSc 2022
- Albin Jonasson, BSc 2022
- Samuel Lindner, MSc 2022
- Ramon Katoele, Intern 2022
- Maja Grape, MSc 2022
- Gemma Mestres, Senior Lecturer 2015-2021
- Anna Kim, Researcher 2021
- Maryam Shojaee, Guest PhD Student 2021
- Alina Beer, MSc 2021
- Tinde Höjer, MSc 2021
- Hanlu Deng, MSc 2021
- Björn Stenestam, MSc 2020
- Daniel Feldt, Intern 2020
- Qian Shi, MSc 2020
- Anna Fornell, Postdoc 2018-2020
- Martin Andersson, Senior Research Engineer 2020
- Mara Lucchetti, Visiting PhD student 2020
- Milena De Albuquerque Moreira, Senior Research Engineer 2018-2019
- Sean Searle, Visiting PhD student 2017-2019
- Björn Stenestam, Intern 2019
- Gianluca Bortolini, Intern 2019
- Per Söderbäck, MSc 2019
- Julia Levy, Intern 2019
- Fredrik Lindeberg, MSc 2019
- Lars Erdmann, MSc 2019
- Jingyi Sun, MSc 2019
- Anna Blasi, MSc 2019
- Gabriel Werr, Intern 2019
- Anna Fornell, PhD 2018
- Sajal Tiwari, MSc 2018
- Noelia D’Elía, Visiting postdoc, 2018
- Rebecka Sörensen, MSc 2018
- Ramón Rial Silva, Visiting PhD student, 2018
- Anette Wolff, Licentiate 2019
- Fredrik Lindeberg, Intern 2018
- Abdul Raouf Atif, MSc 2018
- Gabriel Werr, MSc 2018
- Klara Björnander Rahimi, MSc 2018
- Axel Happstadius, MSc 2017
- Mathias Ohlin, Postdoc 2015-2017
- Frida Sjögren, Licentiate 2017
- Emma Thomée, MSc 2017
- Krishna Narayan, MSc 2017
- Karolina Svensson, MSc 2017
- Simonne Jocic, MSc 2016
- Ana María Porras, MSc 2016
- Anabel Villanueav, BSc 2016
- Arun Thumula, MSc 2016
- Nicki Nordh, MSc 2015